Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Garden City Band led by Prince Amadi - You get money help your brother and Iro Owa





















For the next selection on the highlifeturntable I have selected the tracks You get money help your brother and Iro Owa off a Sinco release Igbule Nwenne Gi Nu Nye Yowu by Garden City Band led by Prince Amadi

The record is from 1982 and the band was based in Port Harcourt.  Port Harcourt was known for its gardens and recreational areas and was sometimes called the Garden City.  There appears to have been a thriving music scene and there is mention of an Ambassador hotel that hosted many bands.

The style of music is called Ikwere highlife.  The tunes are pretty straightforward but the crisp vocals and the trance sound of the bassline provide a relaxing contrast.  Simple, but substantial.  I got the record a few days ago and have been listening to it alot.

 I decided to post two tracks because I think they go well together and showcase what I find appealing about the music.   Check out the way the synthesizers bend the guitar notes on both tracks. Very psychedelic.

I hope you like the music.

Ubulujaja

7 comments:

  1. This is Great. I'll have to add this to my list of money palaver highlife tracks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, please I have been looking for Obu Ayiwa by Garden City Band in every online platform for more than 6months now and to no avail I haven't found it. But this is the closest I have ever gotten and am delighted about it. Please I would be glad if I can get that particular track from you.
    From Charles in Port Harcourt.
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jst download from https://www.hulkshare.com/mobile/index.php#vasxha2axse8

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ikwere Murum Anuradha Kwuta Ikwu
    Please I need this particular track👆

    ReplyDelete
  5. I jst downloaded from https://www.hulkshare.com/mobile/index.php#vasxha2axse8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please can you help me get Nyeleh Bu Nwenem Weh by the same Garden City International Band? I've looked everywhere but to no avail. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete